How To Use
Orderly resignations are extremely important for both Employer and Employee. Employer should take the opportunity to get this signed release from the Employee, including the Employee Final Release form also appearing in the Employment form area.
All supervisors should be prepared for how to conduct themselves when receiving resignation notice, orally or in writing, so they execute Company policy appropriately. In the simplest mechanical terms, you should have a set of documents prepared for this contingency:
This letter plus the Employee Release Form is generally sufficient; the health plan continuation is a matter of formality and sending new bills to the Employee. It is our business experience that immediate termination is better than letting the Employee linger on premises.
Most turnover work can be accomplished effectively in an hour or two. If you feel the need to have longer notice, then write that into the Agreement.
Resignations are complicated for employers because the employee determines the time, not the employer, and the employer has a multiple set of objectives to accomplish to make the transition effective. Usually, first and foremost is the goal getting all important work product in progress into the hands of remaining employees.
Good employees almost always want to be sure this happens. If this is a not so good or troublesome employee, then you should make your first goal to get the Employee Final Release signed and let the chips fall where they will on the first goal for good employees. It is worthwhile to push hard for this sign off so you avoid trouble down the road. A modest financial payment might just turn the tide, and the Agreement provides for that.
My experience has been extremely good in this regard because I have always pushed for an amicable but firm approach to resignation and termination. Pressure to sign the Final Employee Release form has prevented any litigation from occurring. Several lawyers, over the years, have called to complain about their clients, and our former employees, being forced to sign this document. However, they couldn’t “get over” the voluntary and standard request for signature so all “let it go.” Whew!
The final goal should be to get the return of all Company property immediately. This is usually problematic for off site equipment. Just do the best you can in this regard. If they have equipment at home, first get the sign off on these documents and then direct them to go home immediately and bring everything back. If you create an immediate sense of urgency, you will stand the best chance of getting everything back.
- Make multiple copies of the Employee Final Release form and Acceptance of Employee Resignation Letter.
- Get the key or keys back in the initial resignation conversation by the Employee.
- Change all access codes as soon as possible without insulting or inciting the resigning Employee.
- Get the Employee off the premises as soon as possible without insulting or inciting the resigning Employee.
- If possible, arrange for a going away event at a convenient time and place prior to the Employee leaving (this should be part of your normal termination package).
- Consider this activity the most important priority of the day it occurs. If you give it immediate precedence, the event will go off better than otherwise and you will vastly reduce any lingering byproduct. In addition, your other Employees will also be put on notice as to the procedure and prepared for if they eventually resign and will not feel singled out, and so on and so on.